Wednesday 23 September 2009

Grow, Plant Poop: The Story of the Jews of Domeville

Today marks two weeks into my journey in Israel. So much has happened within this time period, which makes me wish that I started the chronicling of this journey earlier. However, this two week space can also function as time of processing and reflection. Yesterday was my birthday so today can symbolize a new beginning.

Let’s start at the beginning. There were two girls from different backgrounds who met at work. One day, Anna shared her intention to visit Israel for five months and work on an organic farm. The details were fuzzy at best. I was at a transitional phase in my life, so I immediately jumped at the opportunity for an extended adventure.

I had studied food policies, both international and domestic at Tufts University but I had not focused on agriculture. I saw this opportunity two ways. One, to obtain a background in agriculture (which may complete my studies-but also take me in a different direction) and to explore my Jewish side. For me there was conflict with both areas. I have strong political opinions about the state of Israel and I was concerned about the nature of my visit, specifically where it aligned me politically.

I will say this much. There have been many times in my life where I have been unsure of my actions, where I have hemmed and hawed, where I have stumbled down a fear based path. My graduate studies comes to mind. The Eco-Israel program is the sole time where I did not prevaricate. I knew from the beginning that I wanted to go down this path, even though I had only a vague sense of what lay before me.

Anna and I met up at the Tel Aviv airport at 5:00 a.m. on September 8th. When I got through customs I was so relieved and wired, relying on some unknown source of energy, which was highly unsustainable. When we arrived at the farm, the official program staff were not on site yet. We were greeted by two Australians who were former Eco participants. I am so drugged with lack of sleep that I had no idea who they were. Anna and I sat on a swing in a low mud structure while we munched on granola and fruit. It was a singular moment which characterized the whole of my experiences thus far. All the previous stress and hectic planning seemed so remote in this environment (and alien). But I had gone through all those previous stressful moments to come to this one moment of bliss. A moment of sweetness and a promise of beginnings.

The first day was a blur of sleeping and meeting new participants one by one as they trudged in, dazed and overwhelmed by the farm. There are nine of, formerly ten but one left early to pursue other interests but hopes to remain connected to the farm and our lessons here. We live in about 8 wooden domes, which resemble yurts. They are simple in their inside beauty. On the outside they rise awkwardly like octagonal white structures on the landscape. They are surprisingly larger that I expected. They were sparsely decorated with tapestries and dried herbs. We have two small mattresses and a low wooden table...


Blog interrupted for a class on Yom Kippur. Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment